Sunday, April 26, 2015

Why I Rejected Topless Role –Nicole Ndigwe, Tinsel Star

Nicole Tinsel


                                  Tinsel star and script writer, Nicole Ndigwe, is a lady we love for many reasons. Blessed with an inspiring aura, Nicole gives us a peek into her home, career and what keeps her tick in this chat with Entertainer.
Excerpts:


How was your growing up like?
I grew up in the midst of a lot of grown-up people. My immediate elder sister is seven years older than me, while my eldest sister is nine years older than me. I grew up around eight or nine cousins that were all in the university when I was in nursery school, and it was fun! I spent my childhood days in Enugu and my teenage years in Anambra and Lagos States. My parents were not too strict neither did they condone nonsense. They supported us in every good thing we wanted to do.
Did you play pranks as a young girl?
I did play some pranks. I always found a reason to go to our neighbour’s house and sleep there for at least three days at a stretch. If my mum yelled at me or spanked me, I would just say ‘mum, I’m moving out!’ Then I’d pack my things and go over to my neighbour’s house. I loved going there because there were a lot of kids there.

How did you begin your career as an actress?
I never really studied acting and I didn’t know I was going to end up an actress; I didn’t even want to pursue it because I wanted to be a lawyer. I started at the age of eight and I would say that acting found me. My cousins were acting and so we had lots of actors visiting our home whenever we were around. One day, a lady, Chinny Matthews, who was a good friend to my cousin, Uche Ndigwe, came over and I said to her ‘hey, how are you? Welcome to my house.’ She was surprised and asked who the little girl was.  I saw she was wearing a necklace with her name inscribed on it so I was like, ‘your name is Chinny, abi?” She was so impressed she told my cousin she had a role for me in a movie she was producing. I played the part of Patience Ozokwor and Justus Esiri’s daughter. I grew up to be Genevieve in that movie. It affected my education because I dropped to 12th from my usual position. My dad instructed me not to act again until I finished school.
A while later my cousin told me she saw an audition notice on Emem Isong’s facebook page and advised me to go for it. However, I had met Emem two years earlier. That was when I met Desmond Elliot in her house after I wrote a script for him. That day, Emem had given me her card so I called her up and she said she remembered me and asked me to come to her office and that though, the audition was over, they hadn’t found everyone they needed.
That was how I started acting again. Afterwards I met so many people on set and they told me about other auditions they were attending and I asked them to give me a call or send me an address so I could attend. Most of the movies I have acted I was invited based on my previous works. The only ones I auditioned for were Tinsel and Dear Mother.

Which would you say is the most favourite movie you have featured in?
That will always be Damaged because that is the movie that got me awards and nominations.
What prompted your weird dance in the movie, All I Ever Wanted?
I always defend that dance because people don’t know what goes on behind the cameras. The movie was directed by Daniel Ademinokan and during the filming, the continuity guy said that the dance was too erotic for an immature teenager, so I had to tone it down but he still insisted that it was too erotic. I got nervous and thrown off balance because I was constantly trying to do what he asked me to do. He even asked me to dance alanta and all those rubbish children do so I tried to dance like a child. At a point, he told me to put energy into it. I cried after the scene and didn’t even watch the movie for a while. I got so embarrassed whenever I saw the commercials but the movie was totally worth it. After all, the movie gave me awards and nominations. People don’t always understand that there are people behind the scene pulling strings; people who tell you what to do.
Tell us about your role as Cynthia in Tinsel?
Cynthia is Bimpe’s friend. She is a very regular character; she is always gossiping with Bimpe about Kwame or Sogie. She is just a normal subtle character that comes in to gossip.
We understand that you also write scripts, what motivates you to write?
What motivates me is envy. When I see someone doing something I like, I just go out and do it until I become awesome at it.
Do you select movie scripts?
I won’t say I select scripts but I have rejected some scripts based on certain conditions. For example, I was asked to act topless in a movie and frolic in bed with a guy but I turned it down. The characters were too bold and I was too young.
Who is the guy in your life?
No one yet.
What kind of man do you like?
I don’t want a guy that’s already made; I want a guy that has a plan to get successful. I would love to have a guy that tells me the truth, a non-cheat because I trust easily but if you lose that trust, it is going to be very hard to get it back. I like hardworking and innovative guys I can talk with and share ideas with. I want a guy that is very generous. I don’t want a guy who is already there, who has tasted the good, the bad and the ugly; I want us to grow together. I want to help him become the man he is supposed to be.
How would you advise those actresses coming up behind you?
Complete your education first but if you have got the time to juggle both then do it. Even if you go for 10 different auditions in a row and you don’t get picked, the 11th might be the clincher. Just keep praying and live your dreams. And don’t think you are too small for what you dream to be. Keep believing in God, trust Him knowing that with him, all things are possible; He has set your feet upon the rock and has established you. Everything has been made for you to conquer and you shall conquer.

No comments:

Post a Comment