Saturday, April 11, 2015

Good Girls Gone Bad

Dencia

               Good girls gone bad is the third studio album of Rihanna and it aptly captures the focus of this piece. Once upon a time, the Nigerian entertainment scene had an array of good girls who wouldn’t hurt a fly, divas who tread on the path of caution and do whatever it takes to be in the good books of the media.

Today, the story has changed. In no particular order, we bring to you daring divas in Nigerian entertainment who typifies the phrase ‘Good girls gone bad.’
Tiwa Savage: Super talented girl turned super sensual performer
Tiwa Savage
Tiwa Savage
When she stepped into the Nigerian music scene with Kelekele love, it was just an ordinary entrance until the song recorded massive hits. Since then, sexy Tiwa has continued to redefine what it means to be a female artiste. She clinched countless awards even before releasing an album. It initially looked like Tiwa was out to maintain her good girl outlook.
But suddenly,the beat changed and she became daring in her performances and video shoots. Her much talked about video Wanted got a lot of jabs and backlash for the sexual content and she was called Nigeria’s Lady Gaga. Another unforgettable performance was the one she had with Patoranking at the 2014 edition of The Headies. Tiwa gave Patoranking a sensual dance that caused a lot of stirs.
Maheeda: From born again christian to sex freakMaheeda-3-250x350
Even though she seems to operate on a low key these days, Caroline Sam in 2013 told anyone who cared to listen that she had given her life to Christ. She even released a gospel theme song titled Superman. Fast forward to 2015, Maheeda has become more popular for her nude pictures and videos than for her music. When asked the longest period she has had sex, she said:”
The longest time I have had sex should be when I did it all through the night, from evening to the next morning”. The Holland based singer doesn’t see anything wrong about sex in whatever form. These days, it is harder to find her pictures on the Internet with her clothes on than otherwise.
Dencia: Gives bleaching a new name
Described as a blend oDenciaf Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga, Dencia is a Cameroonian-Nigerian and entrepreneur popular for her controversial skin lightening product Whitenicious. Initially, her goal was on making a name for herself in the music scene, but that was before she created Whitencious.
Controversy brewed when Mexican –Kenyan actress Lupita Nyong’o referred to it in her speech at Essence Annual Black Women in Hollywood Awards. Lupita told the story of a young girl who was about to buy Dencia’s Whitenicious but changed her mind when she appeared on the world map.
Dencia defended her brand saying her product was misrepresented, and that Whitenicious’ purpose is for dark spot removal. She also threw a jab at Lupita when the actress signed a deal with Lancome. She said Lupita’s actions were hypocritical ,that Lancome sells bleaching cream. Dencia is also known for showing off her raunchy pictures on her social media platforms.
Waje: From a church girl to woman on fireWaje01
Waje is definitely not just a talented songstress; she also has curves that compliment her melodious vocals. She groomed her singing talent at the Late Archbishop Benson Idahosa’s Church of God mission Int’l. The church was the platform she rode on to hone her passion for music. Fast forward to 2015, Waje is not only living her dreams, but also showing us how hot and daring she is.
She posed half nude in the video of her song I wish and it immediately generated criticisms. In an interview she explained the reason behind her action. “It’s a form of art. Music is a language which involves a lot of expression and to be able to express yourself properly, you have to paint a picture for your viewers to understand. I Wish is the story of a vulnerable woman which was the picture I wanted to paint; a woman heart-broken, helpless and vulnerable.
I wanted to draw attention to the plight of heartbroken women. I wanted to be as close as I could to nature for that video hence the nude scenes.” Only recently, she had a raunchy magazine shoot which got everyone talking. The magazine’s cover story is tagged A Woman on Fire. When asked by our reporter the reason for the magazine shoot, she said: “I don’t wish to comment on that” she spat out. “ I did a magazine cover, it was no way near being nude. It was just gym shoots”.
Cynthia Morgan: Making controversies her second nature
Cynthia-Morgan2Undoubtedly, Cynthia Ikponmwewosa Morgan has become one of the most talked about divas in the Nigerian music industry. Even though she has a Christian background, Miss Morgan’s rise hasn’t been devoid of controversies. First off, she released a number of pictures at the prime of her career and was said to be making use of Whitenicious,which she denied vehemently.
In her words: “I grew up and I am lighter. People don’t look the way they looked five-six years ago. If you still look like that, then you have a problem and that could mean you are not growing. It’s either you are fatter, slimmer, lighter or darker or have a pot belly. People grow”.In addition, a picture of her and Dammy Krane went viral which generated another controversy.
In the picture, Dammy can be seen resting on her ample bust. She denied dating him, saying they are just good friends. Also worthy of note is the Twitter brawl she had with Queen Ure over the ownership of the song Popori
Seyi Shay: From girl next door to seductress
It is no news that Seyi Shay broke into the industry with her melodious song Irawo. Little did we know that there’s lot more from her musical arsenal. The Nigerian born artiste who doesn’t conform to a particular music genre is a diva who looks like a girl next door but can be daring when it comes to going the extra mile to entertain her fans. In her video, Crazy where she collaborated with Wizkid, a brief scene has Seyi Shay grabbing Wizkid’s crotch.
Seyi Shay
Seyi Shay
The scene took place in the 2:15 mark of the video. Also in that same video, there is a scene where Seyi Shay can be seen grinding on the star boy,Wizkid. Recently,she was heavily criticized for the choice of the outfit she wore to the Meet the President youth gathering held last month. Responding to the backlash, she said:” I am a very respectable young lady and I was not in any way trying to seduce the President with the outfit I wore.
I had two outfits for the event, one was for my performance and the other was worn after I performed. The dress I was pictured in with the President was what I wore during my performance. I came on stage and greeted everyone according to their culture and I did the same for Mr. President. He was impressed and he asked where and how I knew how to greet in his native dialect and I said I learnt it. If she wasn’t trying to seduce the president, what about her dress to the Channel O awards? Even her fellow entertainers were caught gaping in wonderment at Seyi’s see-through lacy outfit.
Chidinma Ekile: From Mummy’s girl to bedroom poster girl
A lot of people will be surprised that Chidinma made this list. It’s due to her new daring outlook. After her Jankolikoko video, she experienced a metamorphosis which improved her visual appeal but affected her public image.
Chidinma-Ekile-2She  dyed  her hair red and got a Mohawk, making  people perceive her as a good girl gone bad. In 2013, a sex tape of her  look-alike went viral like wildfire,many thought she was the one in the video, considering the striking resemblance. In her words:  “I woke up one morning and I was greeted on the internet with ‘Chidinma and sex tape’.I was worried primarily because of my mother.
I didn’t let her see the video but I had to show her the photos. I didn’t want to go out that day. I couldn’t go out. But my mum felt otherwise. She told me to ignore the mischief makers. I almost took some actions but I thought against it. I met Sound Sultan on a set. He told me, ‘Babe, you are now a star. I welcome you officially into the industry.’ It trended for three days. Even people who didn’t know me got to know me.
My fan base grew. And then, I was happy because more than 90 per cent of the public didn’t believe I was the one in that video”.She was described by her manager as “a balloon on top of lots of needles” as a result of the scandals she has been involved in. Flavour’s latest video Ololufe dropped recently  and there was a lot of reaction to the fact that he shared a kiss with her in the video.
A lot of people concluded that the two are in a romantic relationship. She also denied that claim. In her words,: “Flavour is just a friend and colleague, no strings attached. The kissing thing was just acting. I am an actress and I can do anything to make my music more colourful. However, that was my first time doing that, but it really means nothing to me because we don’t have strong feelings for each other be­yond music. What you guys saw was just acting.”

No comments:

Post a Comment