Monday, March 23, 2015

My Imagination Is Very Wild – ​Nigerian Artist, ​Toby Grey

tobey-grey


           Nigerian Pop/ R&B singer, Toby Grey, born Tobiloba Adeyemi in this interview with PREMIUM TIMES talks about her budding music career and why she did a Gboju, a cover of Kiss Daniel’s hit single, Woju.
The 20-year old final year student of the University of Lagos, who is also a song writer, discovered her talent at the age of 16.

Toby Grey says her influences include Nneka, Asa, Leona Lewis and Ciara.

She recently released the video to her latest single, Gbona, which was shot in New York.

PT: What led you to music?

Toby Grey: From my childhood, I have been a fan of music but not in the real sense of singing, more like dancing, entertaining, making people laugh – I’m not a comedian any way, but that was the beginning. I joined the choir in 2011, while in school, during my pre-degree in Obafemi Awolowo University, OAU.

PT: Why did you cover Kiss Daniel’s Woju?


Toby Grey: It wasn’t something I intended. I was just sitting with my producer and we came across the song. I decided to do something on it. I was surprised by the response because it wasn’t something planned. If I had planned it, I would have been expecting so much like massive response but I didn’t expect it. The fact that response was huge came to me as a surprise. I said wow, people actually love and accept it because sometimes most people drop covers but they are not recognized, so I’m glad Gboju did.

PT: Now you are out with your own songs, Gbona and Gbalowo e​, what inspired the songs?

Toby Grey: Gbona is a love song, and I dropped it on Valentine’s Day, for lovers and it’s still trending. I dropped it for all the ‘boos’ all around the world because everyone is my boo. ‘Gbalowo e’ was produced by Antras. I featured Razor, an upcoming artiste
​,​ and we shot the video at Music Africa Studio, Surulere. Mo’fame Works directed it.

PT: How did you spend your last Valentine?

Toby Grey: I was on a flight all day. I was on my way to New York. The air hostesses were the only ones who wished me “Happy Val’s Day.”

PT: You are new in the industry; how are you finding your feet?

Toby Grey: I won’t say I’m new in the industry, I would say I’m new on the scene because I have been doing music from 2011. I know it’s not a long time compared to other people, but it’s also not a short while. I give kudos to my manager, my mum, who is like my backbone, my family basically.

PT: What is the next step for you?

Toby Grey: Definitely expand the Toby Grey horizon; crossing borders, that’s why my name is Grey. Also, shooting more videos and singles. I’m working with many other acts like, Tuface- that’s the legend. I’m hoping I will soon get to work with Nneka and Waje. My imagination is very wild, trust me. International tours, performing at bigger shows and maybe performing on another planet.

Watch her video to Gbalowo e here:


No comments:

Post a Comment