Friday, August 8, 2014

It's Official--Didier Drogba Retires From International Football

             Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba has announced his retirement from international football on Friday – after 12 years playing for his nation.
              The 36-year-old – who is the Ivory Coast’s all-time record goal scorer with 65 goals in 104 appearances – revealed the news in a statement released on his social network accounts, but, did not give a reason for the decision. See the statement he shared today below..

"It is with much sadness that I have decided to retire from international football.These past 12 years in the national team have been full of emotions. From my first call up to my last match I have always tried to give my best for my country. I am very proud to have been captain of this team for 8 years and to have contributed to placing my country on the world stage of football taking part in 3 world cups and 2 African Cup of Nation finals. I cannot convey enough thanks to the fans for all the love & support during these years. All my goals, all my caps, all our victories are for you – I love you. I also owe much gratitude to my team mates – the players with whom I have shared all these emotions and I wish you all much success for the future & a very warm welcome to the new manager.
View image on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment