Monday, May 11, 2015

7 Injured, Vehicles Vandalized As Hoodlums Go On Rampage In Lagos



                        No fewer than seven persons sustained injuries when armed hoodlums attacked residents of Giwa Street, Adeniyi Street and Cole Street along tollgate in Mushin area of Lagos State.
It was learned that the hoodlums, numbering about 20, stormed the streets, beginning from Fadeyi Bus Stop, attacking  motorcyclists, traders and vandalizing vehicles parked on the streets.

The incident saw residents scampering for safety, while the hoodlums robbed passers-by of their belongings and valuables at gunpoint.


When Vanguard visited the streets, damaged vehicles littered everywhere.

One of the victims, Mrs. Biola Omotosho, a resident whose son, identified simply as Muiz, was attacked by the hoodlums, said: “My son was coming from Ijora, when the hoodlums attacked him, beat him and stole his phone and wallet.

”I was at home when some people, who knew him, came to tell me that my son had been attacked by the hoodlums. When I got there and tried to stop them, one of them hit me  on my head with a plank.

“I ran back home to inform my family members who could help rescue my son.
“Before I got home I fainted on the road due to the blood I had lost.

SOS to Lagos govt
“My son is an easy-going person; the hoodlums have turned our peaceful community to a battled field. We call on Lagos State government to come to our aid.”

Johnson Omobolaji, a commercial motocyclist, who was not spared by the hoodlums, said: “My friend, Emmanuel Ojo, and I were coming from Fadeyi Bus Stop, when we suddenly heard the cry of a woman shouting for help and I persuaded my friend to help the woman.

“When we got to the spot where the woman and his son were being beaten by the hoodlums, we approached them and begged them to allow her go. One of the boys cut my friend and I on the shoulder.”

Loot shop
Mrs. Kudirat Olushola, who sell groceries at Giwa Street, had her shop looted by the hoodlums and her money stolen.

She said: “I was inside my shop attending to customers when suddenly I heard a gunshots. Immediately my customers and I fled.

“When I came back from hiding, they had looted my shop and stolen N300,000 cash kept in the shop.

“I am tired of this hoodlum’s harassment; we want the Lagos State Police Command to come to our rescue, because we do not have another place to run to.”

A commercial motorcyclist, who identified himself as Tunde Azeez, told Vanguard: “About 10 of my friends’ motorcycles parked at a mechanic workshop were taken away by the hoodlums and they told us to come and bail them with N10,000 each or forfeit them.”

He lamented that innocent residents, who were caught in the crossfire, were arrested by policemen from Alakara Police Station.

He said: “I wonder the kind of police we have in Nigeria. They left the hoodlums and arrested my boys who were working in the bakery.”

No comments:

Post a Comment