Saturday, August 16, 2014

I Have not touch My Dreads Since 1980-- RasKimono

                     Nigeria legendary reggae musician Ras Kimono who was bred in the Ghetto has made it clear that he has not shaved his Dreadlocks since 1980. 

The popular musician who revealed this in an interview recently also maintained that he doesn’t spend a dime keeping my hair clean.


What is the relationship between reggae music and dreadlocks? Can’t people do reggae music without necessarily keeping dreadlocks?
Of course, you can do reggae music without wearing dreadlocks. Rasta is a different thing from reggae. Dreadlocks more of the black man’s culture.
The black man used to live this way until the white man came with his comb and mirror and wanted us to look like him. So, dreadlock is the black man’s own way of living. There are so many people wearing dreadlocks today who have nothing to do with reggae music. A lot of us don’t know about the history of the black man. In the Bible, the book of Numbers says leave the hair of your head long and lux. This is the way God created us and we are applying what is written in the Bible to our daily lives. But it is not compulsory that as a reggae artiste you must wear dreadlocks, this is totally up to the individual.

For how many years have you carried your dreadlocks?
I have been like this since 1980 and I have never shaved it once. I have also been a vegetarian from that period too.

So, you must be spending a lot of money to keep your hair neat and sparkling?
I don’t spend a dime keeping my hair clean. I am a rastaman and not an artificial dreadlock carrier. I am a naturalist, who simply washes his hair in the shower with ordinary soap or in the rain whenever it pours down. Those who keep artificial dreads are just doing that to impress ladies, but not for people like us because I am a rastaman.

No comments:

Post a Comment